Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

2011 QB Rankings?

Rankings are one of the best things about sports. There is nothing better than ranking athletes because everyone sees it differently. Sometimes we have "Shallow Hal" eyes and sometimes we just see the facts. Either way let's look at NFL QBs heading into the 2011 offseason.

The NFL is a quarterback driven league. Unfortunately, not all offensive systems are the same so it makes it difficult to determine the top quarterbacks in the league. Do we base it strictly off numbers? Wins? Clutch plays? Potential?

My rankings are based on the premise that all things are created equal. This means that coaching staffs, offensive weapons, and defenses are equal across the board. [I.e. Is it really fair to compare Drew Brees (41 passing attempts per game) to David Garrard (26 att/game, which was an NFL low) based strictly on numbers?] Some QBs in the rankings were backups in 2010 but I expect them to be starters in 2011. Obviously, rookies from the 2011 draft are not included. Also, only 32 QBs are ranked (Sorry Alex Smith). So with all things considered, here are the rankings:


1. Tom Brady- 36 TDs and 4 INTs. This man succeeds regardless of who he throws to.

2. Peyton Manning- Arguably the greatest regular season QB of all time but it's his post season accolades or lack there of that hurt.

3. Phillip Rivers- I know he has never one a SB. However, he finished 2010 with 4710 yards, 30 TDs and a 101.8 rating. Who did he throw to again? Exactly.

4. Aaron Rodgers- Fresh off the best post season we have ever seen played by a QB, yes the best, Rodgers only knock for me is that compared to Rivers he has better weapons at his disposal and never ever hands the ball off. Lower yards per attempt but he could be higher in most lists.

5. Ben Roethlisburger- Morals aside, this man wins. I am not even sure if this is truly accurate but he seems to make the most crucial plays more than any other QB. This SB aside, he is the one QB I would not want against me.

6. Drew Brees- He looks good throwing but his offense is strictly a passing offense and I'm not sure he has the same success in a balanced offense.

7. Josh Freeman- Love everything about this guy. he made the Bucs relevant this year and has them on a course to greatness. Has that it factor that everyone looks for.

8. Mike Vick- When healthy he is a weapon all to himself. He showed this year that he has matured as a QB and leader.

9. Matt Ryan- Matty Ice is clutch. He is one of those guys that seems to make the big play when it is most needed. By the way, is the NFC South really this loaded with QB talent? It is.

10. Joe Flacco- The Ravens play calling is horrible. Flacco is often times placed in situations where odds are against him. Plus, if TJ Houshmanzadeh catches that long 4th down reception against the Steelers, Flacco might have been playing last Sunday.

11. Sam Bradford- This guy impressed me because he took every snap as the STL QB last season and performed extremely well. He won at home and will learn how to win the tough game on the road.

12. Tony Romo- He's too high. Probably five spots too high but he has above average numbers and wins in the regular season.

13. Matt Schaub- Great numbers and great arm. Sometimes he seems to lack the ability to lead a team to victory.

14. Kyle Orton- Why is he getting moved so much? He won in Chicago but they chose Cutler. Now the Broncos are forced to try Tebow and part ways with Orton. If my team were to get Orton I would-be more than pleased. ( see #25)

15. Ryan Fitzpatrick- I'm a fan. He had no running game. No WRs until he made S. Johnson a name. No Defense yet he finished with 23 TDs.

16. Matt Stafford- Please stay healthy. My God you have Calvin Johnson to throw to!

17. Jay Cutler- hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

18. Kevin Kolb- He will be a starter next year. Crazy how one year can make us forget that he was projected borderline top 10 QB heading into last year. I will take him. ( see #25)

19. Matt Cassel- It's not that he has had great numbers but I blame the offense he plays in more than his actual ability.

20. Tim Tebow- He played better than I expected in his four games last year. He has all the intangibles but is inconsistent in passing plus he can not run all the time with his bruising style.

21. Carson Palmer- Where has this guy gone?

22. Eli Manning- see #21.

23. Donovan McNabb- He is getting old. But for me it's the drama that follows this guy. Every season he is involved in some story. It has to be bad for a locker room.

24. Chad Henne- He makes some great throws and then some horrible throws. He's young. In the right situation this guy could lead a team deep in the playoffs. Also, the Wildcat kills a QBs momentum.

25. David Garrard- He can not win a game by himself. He is as inconsistent as they come. I hate placing him this low and understand that personal heartbreak has influenced my decision. "The chip has been compromised."

26. Mark Sanchez- Who does he scare? He has had one of the best defenses, very good WRS and RBS and his numbers are still pedestrian.

27. Matt Hasselbeck- Often times hurt. Don't see much from him next season.

28. Colt McCoy- He will never be an elite passer. If he is going to succeed he will have to take the Mold of Big Ben. make big plays when they need to be made. I saw glimpses of that last year.

29. Vince Young- I actually would rank Jim higher if A.) he had a team and B.) he had only one personality.

30. Jason Campbell- mediocre on a good day

31. Kerry Collins- I believe Brett Favre laughed when he realized Collins was still playing. He's the next Mr. Wrangler.

32. Jimmy Claussen- Zero, yes zero, TDs to a WR last year. He has Steve Smith ( the crazy one) on his squad. I say Smith throws Jimmy under the bus around week 3, of the preseason.

10 comments:

  1. In my opinion Tebow could've been a little higher than #20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim tebow better then David Gerrard? Hahahahaa... Must be a Gaytor fan. Maybe n a few years.. But if u look at davids stats he's better then tebow.. Don't get me wrong I love tebow.. I wish we got him. And David makes me cry.. But he's better.. And good job so far on the site..!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I love the Josh Freeman love. He's exciting but he often gets over looked for some reason. I don't know why, because Josh Freeman wins football games! Also, I'm satisfied with your Tebow ranking. In limited time he hasn't shown even John Elway enough to be the clear starter, much less us mere mortals. Though I have seen enough to put him ahead of those he's in front of. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christian Ponder #1, Rodgers should be #3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Tebow is too high on this list and I'm a big Tebow/Gator fan. He's only been a starter for 3 games and may not even be the starter going into next year. He's ahead of a Super Bowl MVP, a QB with 4 playoff victories in his first 2 years as a starter, and a 6 time Pro Bowler, who has also played in one Super Bowl. Don't think he should be above them... yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tebows ranking is based on potential as well as previous experience. Palmer has been average at best with very good weapons. Eli has won a super bowl but this is not based on career achievements. Eli is not that good. Only cause he's inconsistent.
    Tebow is that high because he played well in a small sample size plus the reaction of his teammates to his attitude makes me think Tebow will have more success than those behind him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think David Garrard should be 2.... Go Jags

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Collin about the Freeman love. He is a really good QB with tons of potential. The combination of him and Mike Williams almsot makes me wish i were a Bucs fan! I would not rank him ahead of Vick, Ryan, or Romo, but he is a really good QB!

    What I really don't understand is Garrard's ranking. Statistically, he lines up more around 15, but he has possibly the worst weapons in the league! Personally, i think you could switch Garrard and Fitzpatrick.

    Really good article though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Garrards ranking is compromised. While I stick by my ranking and feel as though his ceiling is lower than the guys ahead of him, he has caused me pain as a Jaguar fan so I penalize him for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tsk! Tsk! Garrard should be higher! You have him lower than Matt Stafford and Chad Henne...really?? There are others that I also question being higher than Garrard, but I'll pass on it right now. I like Matt Stafford if he can stay injury free. You need to excuse Garrard because of his offensive line. How many times can you go out there and be rushed and always produce? He made a couple of costly bad decisions this year but so have a lot of the quarterbacks you ranked above him.

    ReplyDelete