Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

A Chat with George Wrighster:


In 2003, the Jacksonville Jaguars selected a Tight End from The University of Oregon by the name of George Wrighster in the fourth round. In just two years at Oregon, Wrighster had 8 total touchdowns as well as 52 receptions and 691 yards. George played for six seasons with the Jaguars ('03-'08) and totaled 9 Tds, 94 receptions and 850 yards. Recently, Wrighster won the UFL championship with the Las Vegas Locomotives while grabbing 18 receptions.

George Wrighster was willing to take the time to answer questions for us at Salute Your Sports about life, the draft process, and the potential NFL lockout. Here is the interview:


SYP: Pepsi or Coke?

GW: Neither. Sprite. I rarely drink soda anyway.

SYP: Oregon Championship or UFL Championship?

GW: Oregon. I love the Ducks

SYP:Madden or Call of Duty?

GW:Madden

SYP:Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?

GW:Peyton every time

SYP:Kobe or LeBron?

GW:Lol. Kobe #Lakers

SYP: Favorite stadium to play in the NFL?

GW: Baltimore Coliseum

SYP: Best player you ever played with?

GW: Fred Taylor

SYP: Funniest player you ever played with?

GW: Adrian Awasom

SYP: Who was the hardest hitting defender you ever took a shot from?

GW: Donovan Darius in practice.

SYP: You are very active on Twitter (@georgewrighster), what is the funniest thing someone has ever said to you on Twitter?

GW: It's funny when people have such strong opinions and get mad about things I could care less about.

SYP: If you could have one person follow you on Twitter who would it be and why?

GW: Obama- that means I'm making moves for real!

SYP: You are on a desert island and can have three items with you? What are they and why?

GW: I only need 1. iPhone. I have everything I need. All the tools I need to get off and books to read/music to listen to to keep me busy till help arrives or I build a raft off. Lol.

SYP: After a game you can go get a drink with three players, who are they and why?

GW: Adrian Awasom, Samie Parker, and Rashad Bauman

SYP: The draft is the next big item in the NFL "off" season, what was your experience like leading up to draft day?

GW: If was hectic. Flying to teams and working out. U just want to put yourself in the best possible situation to succeed.

SYP: You were drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2003 in the 4th round out of Oregon, what was the feeling like when you got the call?

GW: Instant chip on my shoulder. I felt like I should have been drafted higher.

SYP: You recently won the championship in the UFL with the Las Vegas Locomotives, how was that experience for you?

GW: It was so much fun. The business of football is still there but not as prevalent so it's was a lot of fun. Winning is always great!

SYP: You've said on Twitter that you hope to get back in the NFL, what does that process look like for you?

GW: Trying to get workouts lined up. As soon as I get on a team I will prove I'm still one of the best TEs around.

SYP: When was the moment in your career that you realized you could not only compete but succeed in the NFL?

GW: In training camp my rookie year. I was making some plays and a light when on and I said, "Hey I can do this. "

SYP: What was it like to score your first TD in the NFL?

GW: Bittersweet. We were getting blown out by the Buffalo Bills the 1st or 2nd game of my rookie year.

SYP: Is there a play that you made that stands out in your mind?

GW: Yes. 2. A TD against the Bengals on Monday night and the game winning TD against the Browns in the snow.

SYP: What is your perspective on the potential lockout looming over the NFL and how does it, if at all, impact your return to the league?

GW: It affects your health care for your children and yourself until the deal is done. Everyone knows a deal will get done eventually it's just a matter of when. It does affect my return to the league because free agency will be non existent until CBA is done.


Hopefully, the NFL will be able to reach an agreement sooner rather than later so athletes like George Wrighster will have the opportunity to continue living out their dreams. Again, we would like to thank George Wrighster for taking the time to share with us his perspective on issues and his life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment